“And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.” – 2 Timothy 2:2
Our goal is to ground our men in the Holy Scriptures, thorough study of the Scriptures, Men’s Breakfasts, an annual men’s fall weekend and other special activities.
For more information, please contact our men’s ministry committee: Joe Gerardi (co-chair), David Vincent, Mike Johnson, Rowland Elwell, Dick Himmelwright (co-chair), Jim Polenz, and Floyd Castle.
The purpose of Women’s Ministry is that every woman who attends First Presbyterian Church or is a guest of one of our members know Christ personally and be committed to extending His Kingdom in her life, home, church and community and throughout the world.
The Women’s Ministry Committee is made up of five individuals. Those individuals are: Julia Holcomb, Adrienne Polenz, Nelsa Barnett, Carol Noyes and Cathy Kahler. We meet at 7:00 P.M. on the 1st Tuesday of each month from September to May. At the meetings we talk over plans for events and activities for the women of the church where we can have fellowship with each other. We are always looking for other individuals to join our planning.
Yearly Activities and Events
- The “Secret Sister” Program was established to develop and encourage women at First Pres to come alongside each other by praying and encouraging each other through the year. We start this program in the fall and it runs for the entire year.
- We try to plan a retreat in the spring or fall each year and have attended other Women’s retreats throughout the area.
- We host about four to five movie nights where we show a variety of inspirational movies. These movie nights are free of charge and the committee always provides food for those that attend.
- A family event (like bowling or game night) is generally held in the summer.
- In August, we plan a day trip (for outlet shopping, lunches or cider mills).
- We co-chair the annual Chili and Mac-N-Cheese cook-off with the Men’s Ministry team.
- Our biggest event of the year is our Advent Tea, held the first Monday of December.
For more information, please contact the Women’s Ministry Chair, Cathy Kahler.
We serve the senior (55+) members and attenders of First Presbyterian Church by engaging them in activities chosen to provide fun and fellowship. Since our target population includes a wide variety of ages, interests, abilities, available time, and personal definitions of fun, our planning team (made up of Jim and Adrienne Polenz, Joe and Lynn MacPherson, Dick and Barb Himmelwright, and Dick and Betty Rose) tries to provide a wide variety of events. We have had boat rides on Lake George, the Hudson River and the Erie Canal; and train rides in the Catskills, Berkshires, and Leatherstocking country. Other events range from concerts, movies, and games in Mekeel Hall to eating in various places locally or at a distance. A recent survey of our group revealed that eating out was the favorite activity (no surprise there!) so eating is included in every event. And we happily take wheelchairs so we can include anyone who gets tired walking too much.
We try to have an activity at least every other month. They are advertised in the Sunday worship bulletin, on the church website and prayer announcements, and through emails to all who wish to be included. For information, RSVPs, or to be added to the email list, contact Dick Rose: phone – 518-861-8581, or email – email@example.com